About My Firm
About Bankruptcy Lawyer Robert S. Brandt
HERE ARE 6 GOOD REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD HIRE ME AS YOUR BANKRUPTCY ATTORNEY.
My two law offices are located in Northern Virginia and the majority of my clients reside in Alexandria, Fairfax, Arlington, Loudoun and Prince William County. For those who reside in Northern Virginia, please keep in mind that your case will be filed in the bankruptcy court that sits in Alexandria, Virginia. I also represent those who reside in Washington, DC. Moreover, I am obligated to disclose that since I am a bankruptcy attorney that I am also considered to be a debt relief agency. I proudly help people get their fresh start by filing for bankruptcy under the bankruptcy code.
- I am a bankruptcy attorney. Bankruptcy work is what I do day in and day out. My time and energy is devoted to one thing and one thing only, bankruptcy law.
- I will be handling your case from start to finish. I do not believe in delegating duties. The paralegal or secretary will not be handling your case. I will be. When you call and email -and believe me there will be many calls and emails through out your case- you will be speaking with me and me only.
- If you have found my website through Google, Yahoo, or Yelp then you have probably noticed that I have a number of reviews from past bankruptcy clients .I think that you will find that the reviews have one overriding theme: I provide exceptional service to my clients.
- Fees. You are in the midst of filing for bankruptcy and you certainly do not want to pay an arm and a leg. I get that. I am far from being the most expensive attorney in the area, but I am not the cheapest either. My fees are reasonable.
- Your interest comes before mine. That means that if it turns out that filing for bankruptcy is not a good idea at this time –and those situations do come up- I will be the first to tell you.
- One of my mottos is “no forms, no hassle.” You are stressed and preoccupied so the last thing that I want you to do is to spend hours filling out a 20 page bankruptcy questionnaire. I prefer to talk face to face and to get the information from you in person. Besides, there is only so much that can be conveyed through forms.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE THINGS THAT CAN GO WRONG IF YOU HIRE THE WRONG BANKRUPTCY LAWYER:
- Your calls and emails do not get answered and if they do they are not being answered by the bankruptcy lawyer you hired.
- You file a “routine” chapter 7 bankruptcy case. You also happen to be “upside down” on your car loan and you miss out on the opportunity to purchase the title to your car based on the current fair market value of the vehicle through a process called redemption. Why? Because your bankruptcy attorney forgot to mention this option to you. Now you are stuck with a bad car loan.
- Your bankruptcy attorney is not really familiar with chapter 13 cases. You end up filing a chapter 7 case instead. As a result, you miss out on the opportunity to extinguish your home equity line (HELOC) through a process called “lien strip.”
- Your bankruptcy attorney is not intimately familiar with recent bankruptcy Supreme Court cases such as Lanning or Ransom, or the intricacies of the means test. You end up in a chapter 13 bankruptcy when it should have been a chapter 7 bankruptcy. Now you have thousands of dollars in payments to make for the next five years.
- Your bankruptcy attorney screws up. Fails to timely record the necessary homestead deed in order to preserve your exemptions thereby putting your assets in jeopardy. Your bank account, tax refunds, equity in your car, etc. is now at risk of having to be forfeited to the chapter 7 trustee.
- Your bankruptcy attorney fails to ensure that your old taxes get discharged in your chapter 7 bankruptcy case. Who says tax debt is never dischargeable?!
- Your bankruptcy lawyer fails to pull up a title report on your home thereby failing to recognize that a number of judgment liens have been recorded. As such, he fails to take the necessary steps to ensure that these judgment liens are extinguished. Good luck trying to sell/refinance your home at some point down the line.
- Your bankruptcy attorney loses sight of the fact that your main bank account is with a credit union. This is the same credit union that also has your car loan, signature loan or credit card. You file your bankruptcy case and next thing you know you are in a panic, your bank account has just been frozen and your checks are bouncing. The credit union was simply exercising its right to a setoff.
- Your bankruptcy attorney tells you that “you make too much money” and that you do not “pass” the means test and must file a 13. He fails to recognize that the majority of your debt however is non-consumer debt. Thus, you are automatically entitled to a chapter 7 discharge. You end up spending five year in bankruptcy instead of 90 days!
I can go on and on, but I think you get the point. When it comes to filing for bankruptcy the devil is in the details. For most people filing for bankruptcy is a once in a lifetime event. You want to make sure that you are in good hands; after all you have a lot on the line. And you want to make sure that your bankruptcy lawyer does not merely get you past the finish line, but gets you there without getting battered and bruised.
Take the first step towards financial freedom. Contact me for an initial consultation.